A message to DOD Personnel and their Families:

 Like many sectors, labor challenges in the moving and storage industry are driving tighter-than-normal capacity in the Defense Personal Property Program.  These challenges are compounded by competition with non-DOD clients (like corporate and residential customers) vying for the same services.   In many locations, DOD personnel must wait upwards of four to six weeks for available moving crews.  Demand is similarly high for rental trucks and storage containers used by customers interested in a Personally Procured Move.  Senior leaders across the DOD’s Personnel and Logistics communities are aware of the issues and are exploring options to solve relocation-related problems for military families. 

Steps you can take: 

  • Visit your Transportation Office as soon as you receive orders.  Don’t wait!
  • Whether this is your first move or your 15th, take advantage of counseling.  Your local transportation office is your best resource to understand the specific challenges and delays in your community.
  • If movers cannot be arranged to support your timeline, talk with your chain of command immediately to explore options—which may include changes to reporting timelines.
  • Be patient with your transportation office personnel!  They want to solve problems for you.  Contact your local transportation office if your moving plans change or if you have questions regarding your move once scheduled. 

In no case should a customer feel compelled to conduct a Personally Procured Move.  Similarly, no customer should feel compelled to leave family members behind to handle a household goods move on their own. 

Moving Entitlements

Your Moving Allowance

Moving allowance generally refers to the overall weight of your household goods. The rank specified on your job/travel orders will be used to determine your total weight allowance (a.k.a. "how much stuff"). In general, as your rank increases, your moving allowance also increases. Any cost to move household goods above your moving allowance will be charged to you after delivery, so work hard to make sure you stay within your weight allowance.

Permanent Change of Station (PCS) Weight Allowance

The average weight allowances for a Permanent Change of Station (PCS) are based on rank, dependency status and move type. Special circumstances like moving overseas (OCONUS), a retirement move, or a separation move may have extra entitlements and/or limitations. Each branch of service may also offer different allowances too, so be sure to check with your local transportation office to confirm these amounts.

Temporary Duty (TDY) Weight Allowance

If you are going on a Temporary Duty (TDY), your approving official may authorize you to ship a small amount of household goods, to include some of your professional gear and medical equipment. The weight allowances in the chart below are in addition to any unaccompanied or accompanied baggage. Furthermore, in the event the TDY location becomes the permanent duty station, this would mean that the TDY weight allowance would also be an additional allowance to any PCS weight entitlements.

Note: Civilian employees, with authorization from the approving official on an extended TDY assignment, may ship up to 350 lbs. This unaccompanied baggage is limited to additional clothing, personal effects, and equipment directly related to the mission, locality, or unusual conditions of the assignment.


What am I allowed to bring?

In addition to weight, there are guidelines or allowances for special items/things. The information below is designed to help you understand these allowances and provide more direction.

Note:  While considerable effort was taken to ensure this information is accurate, ultimately, the Joint Travel Regulation (JTR) is the authority of entitlements for all service members and civilians. Check with your branch of service or agency for supplemental regulations or guidance in addition to the JTR. If you run into a situation where you need clarification on any of these points, or just want to make sure you understand the official rules, you should reach out to your local transportation office.

For OCONUS Moves: Certain OCONUS locations have additional restrictions due to customs restrictions or base policy. If you are traveling OCONUS, please contact your local transportation office to double check this guidance.

Icon of a dog with a lead.

Pets & Live Animals

(including dogs, cats, birds, etc.)
Allowed, at own expense.
  • Pets or animals are allowed if they are travelling with you at your own expense. Your moving company cannot ship any live animals as a part of your move.
  • To learn more about transporting your pet visit the AMC Pet Travel Page 
Icon of a stylized military rifle.


  • You can transport firearms as part of your total household goods shipment, assuming that it complies with all local and state laws. If you intend to self-transport firearms in your vehicle, make sure you do not carry your weapon on your person and check all the laws of every state you intend to drive through to your new duty station.
  • For OCONUS: You can transport firearms as part of your total household goods shipment, assuming that it abides by all the laws of your host country and your new country. When returning to the United States, you must identify firearms on your individual customs forms and obtain an ATF Form 6. You can access the ATF Form 6 for military personnel here and civilians here.  Allow up to six weeks for processing. It is recommended you contact your local transportation office for assistance.

Shipment Instructions

  • Make the firearm inoperable by removing the bolt, firing pin, trigger assembly, and other arming parts.
  • Remove all ammunition from your firearms. You cannot ship any privately owned live ammunition in your household goods shipment.
  • Remove all firearms from your safe to allow for separate packaging during shipment and storage.
  • Ensure the firearm information is written on the inventory including make, model, serial number, unique characteristics, and caliber or gauge. Carry a copy of this information physically with you.

Related Forms

Icon of a bottle of alcohol next to a glass with bubbly liquid in it.


  • You can ship alcohol as part of your total household goods shipment, assuming that the alcohol you are shipping doesn’t violate any international customs or state-specific import laws. Whether you're moving to the U.S. with a wine collection or importing alcohol for your personal use, you should always check the alcohol import requirements from the U.S. Customs and Border Protection or the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau.
  • For OCONUS: It is your responsibility to verify any alcohol restrictions associated with your new duty station. Additionally, any fees associated with importing alcohol to your new duty station will be your responsibility.
Icon of a hamburger and fries.

Consumable Items

Only allowed for remote locations.
  • If you are assigned to a permanent duty station in a remote location listed in the Authorized Consumable Goods Allowance , you can ship up to 1,250 pounds of suitable consumable goods per a tour year assignment (i.e. 12-month tour - 1,250 lbs.; 18-month tour - 1,875 lbs.).
  • Consumable goods must be packed, marked and weighed separately.
  • Contact your local transportation office  for more details.
Icon of a front-loading washing machine.

Household Appliances

  • You are responsible for any costs associated with disconnecting appliances.
  • If you have a front-loading washing machine you should have the original shipping/stabilizer bolts, spacers, and wrenches that are used to secure the machine for transport. If you don’t have the original bolts, make sure you let your moving company know during your pre-move inspection.
Image of an old-style television with rabbit-ear antenna.

Flat-Panel TVs & Monitors

  • You are responsible for any pre- or post-move expenses related to your TV such as disconnection/dismounting and reconnection/remounting.
  • Subject to approval, crating charges may only apply to flat screen televisions in excess of a 75-inch diagonal screen size. Contact your local transportation office for more information.
  • The moving company is responsible for wrapping and packing your TV.
  • Make sure you inform your moving company if your TV is a plasma display type, because it must be shipped upright.
  • For OCONUS: No additional compensation for flat/curved screen televisions with a 75-inch diagonal screen size or less. Subject to approval, crating charges may only apply to flat/curved screen televisions in excess of a 75-inch diagonal screen size.


Icon of a reclining lawn chair and a sun-umbrella.

Lawn Furniture

  • If you are moving from a gypsy moth quarantined area to a non-quarantine area, you must inspect your outdoor household items for the gypsy moth before you move.
  • If you find the gypsy moth on any of your belongings, you must treat it before your move. You can use the USDA’s Gypsy Moth Guide to help you know what to look for on your belongings.
  • For OCONUS: If travelling to an international location, make sure you check with your host installation relating to any other agriculture-related procedures that might affect your shipment.
Icon of the front of a car.

Privately Owned Vehicles (POVs)

Allowed, with transportation and storage exceptions for CONUS/OCONUS locations.

You may have an entitlement to ship or store one POV at government expense when you receive permanent change of station orders. The Department of Defense has a Global POV Contract that services many installations around the world.



  • The cost of transporting your POV to your new duty station is largely your responsibility for a CONUS to CONUS move. There are exceptions, so always contact your local transportation office (for military members) or human resource office (for civilian employees) if you're unsure.
  • The military will reimburse you for mileage and some travel costs. This entitlement is a monetary allowance in lieu of transportation (MALT), and includes a per diem allowance too. Contact your personnel office for more information. Civilian employees should contact their human resource office for permanent change of station allowance questions.  
  • If you decide not to drive your POV and want to ship it to your next duty station, you would become responsible for all transportation costs for shipping that vehicle.
  • If you can't drive from your previous CONUS duty station to the new CONUS location because of medical or personal reasons, or if the travel time exceeds your report-in date, contact your local transportation office for assistance.


  • Only one POV owned or leased for personal use may be shipped at government expense.  There may be exceptions, so check with your local transportation office if you have questions.
  • The government will ship one POV measuring 20 measurement tons (MT) or less.  If your POV is larger than 20 MT, you may be required to pay the excess shipping costs.  There are exceptions to the size limitation, so please contact your local personal property office if you have questions about shipping or storing an oversized vehicle.

If you have a unique situation or want to make your own arrangements to ship more than one POV to your new duty station, please contact your local transportation office.

Shipment Instructions

  • Go to www.PCSmyPOV.com to schedule an appointment, find a vehicle processing center (VPC) for POV turn-in or pick-up, and view POV documentation requirements for these shipments.  All vehicle processing centers are by appointment only.
  • Ensure your POV does not have any unresolved recalls for electrical or fire related items. You must provide documented proof of no open recalls at the time of turn in.
  • Clean your POV inside and out while making sure the interior is dry. Further cleanliness details can be found on the website.
  • Make sure that your POV has ¼ tank of fuel or less when you turn it in for shipping or storage. 

NOTE: Additional shipping information can be found at PCSmyPOV.com


Icon of a motorcycle from the side.

Motorcycles & Dirtbikes

  • For CONUS: Motorcycles and dirt bikes can be shipped as household goods. That weight is included in your total authorized household goods weight.

(NOTE:  You may be able to ship a motorcycle as a POV to some locations.  Check with your local personal property office if you have questions.)

  • For OCONUS: One motorcycle can be transported as a POV. If you ship your motorcycle or dirt bike as household goods, the weight is included in your total household goods weight.
  • Check the country requirements before you ship your motorcycle or dirt bike overseas. There may be import restrictions or prohibitions for bringing your specific motorcycle or dirt bike into the country you’re moving to. Contact your local transportation office if you have questions.

Shipment Instructions

  • Drain the bike of fuel (carbureted models must be drained down to reserve).

(NOTE:  Motorcycle(s) shall be drained of all the gasoline and battery removed prior to pick-up for storage.)

  • Properly inflate tires and repair any fluid leaks (oil, transmission, fuel) as applicable.
  • Disconnect battery and tape ends with electrical tape.
  • Empty saddlebacks. (Helmets, saddlebags and windshields can stay on the bike provided it is securely strapped to the bike.)
  • Unlock bike so that it can be rolled on and off of the moving truck.
Icon of an engine, shown from the side.

Spare POV Parts

  • The weight of any spare POV parts will be included in your total authorized household goods weight.
  • Examples of spare POV parts might include a car engine, transmission, seats, tops, winch, spare tires, portable gas cans, GPS devices, CD players, and other items that could be misplaced or stolen.
Icon of a wagon-shaped trailer with a bike inside it.

Utility Trailer

  • The weight of any utility trailer will be included in your total authorized household goods weight.
  • Trailers must have a single axle, overall length no more than 12 feet and less than 8 feet wide (outside tire to outside tire). The side rails/body must be less than 28 inches (unless detachable) and the ramp/gate for the trailer can be no higher than 4 feet (unless detachable).
Icon of a scooter on the left, a hanglider in the middle, and a snowmobile on the right.

Misc. Sporting Vehicles, Equipment, and Single Occupant Ultra Vehicles

(including Mopeds, Hang Gliders, ATVs, Golf Carts, Snowmobiles, etc.)
  • The weight of any miscellaneous vehicles will be included in your total authorized household goods weight.
  • These items may ship with their associated trailer if applicable.
  • If applicable, the vehicles should be drained of fuel prior to shipment.
  • Single-occupant ultra-vehicles must weigh under 155 pounds (unpowered) or 254 pounds (powered); and have a fuel capacity not to exceed (NTE) five gallons, airspeed NTE 55 knots, and/or a power-off stall speed NTE 24 knots.
Icon of a simple powerboat, shown from the side.

Boat or Personal Watercraft (Not primary residence)

(including Canoes, Skiffs, Sailboats, Light Rowboats, Kayaks, Jet Skis, Sculls, etc.)
Allowed, largely at your own expense.


  • Boats 14 feet in length, 6 feet 10 inches in width and 6 feet 5 inches in height or less will be shipped as part of your household goods. Boats over 14 feet long are shipped using the Boat One Time Only process. To schedule a shipment for boats over 14 feet, it is recommended you visit your local transportation office.
  • You will also be 100 percent responsible for any accessorial service charges (special packing, crating, handling, and boat transportation fees) incurred as well as any excess cost that comes from exceeding your maximum weight allowance.
  • It is highly suggested, that you consider doing a Personally Procured Move (PPM) for your boat. In this option, the government will either pay you to move your boat or you have the ability to select your own commercial boat hauler. Contact your local transportation office for an estimate.

Shipment Instructions

  • Make sure your trailer has a valid license. If the origin state does not require a license; a transit permit may be required at your expense in order for the boat hauler to transport the boat trailer.
  • The trailer must have good tires, working lights, wiring and brakes.
  • The trailer frame cannot be bent, twisted, or broken.
  • Remove any valuable items from the boat before shipment such as clothing, TVs, skis, and similar items).
  • Lower or remove all antennas, masts, fishing/trolling poles, and outriggers.
  • See the “Shipping or Storing Boats” handout for more information regarding what to expect.


  • Any boat and/or trailer that fits into a standard overseas container (canoes, kayaks, rowboats, jet skis, etc.) can be shipped with your household goods.
  • For larger boats, you will need to visit your  local transportation office so that they can determine a price and schedule a separate shipment with a commercial boat hauler. You will be responsible for excess cost (see above).
  • Personally procured boat moves are allowed for OCONUS destinations. Contact your local transportation office for an estimate.


Icon of a simple powerboat, shown from the side.

Boat or Personal Watercraft (Primary residence)

Allowed, for CONUS (& Alaska) only, largely at your own expense.
  • Residential boat moves are complicated, it is recommended that you visit your local transportation office before scheduling anything online.
  • In general, you can move your boat yourself, and receive reimbursement for the ACTUAL transportation cost (with no household goods shipment) OR you can have the government arrange to move your boat and have the government pay up to what it would cost to ship the boat’s weight as household goods up to your entitlement level.
  • Please visit your local transportation office for more details.
Icon of a mobile home/recreational vehicle, shown from the right side.

Mobile Homes and Tiny Houses

Allowed, for CONUS & Alaska only, largely at your own expense.
  • Mobile home moves are complicated and may be subject to special approval on a case-by-case basis. Please visit your local transportation office for more details.
Icon of Pro Gear

Professional Books, Papers, & Equipment ("Pro-Gear")

  • Pro-gear can include books or military reference material; professional tools for your job, including instruments; specialized clothing; military communication equipment; individually owned or issued gear; or clothing.
  • Service members can move up to 2,000 pounds of professional gear, and spouses can move up to 500 pounds of professional gear.